Terms and Conditions
JP Urban Moving Terms & Conditions
Please read this document carefully. By moving with JP Urban Moving, you agree to be bound by the Terms and Conditions of this agreement.
Our estimates are based on our many years of moving jobs. While we have an excellent track record of accurate estimates, the actual cost will likely be more or less. We promise to complete the move as quickly as reasonably possible.
- Estimate is based on Time, Travel Time and surcharges. The estimate includes men and truck with free use of blankets, tools and dollies.
- Estimate does not include boxes, mattress bags and packing materials used on the day of the job, parking, tolls, additional valuation, Certificate of Insurance (COIs), gratuities or the staircase fee (if applicable). See our website for Moving Supplies and prices.
- On hourly rate moves, we employ a 2-hour minimum, not including travel time, after which we prorate in increments of 15 minutes.
PAYMENTS & CANCELLATIONS
- Payment – We accept personal checks and all major cards, and offer a discount for cash.
- Deposits – we require a non-refundable deposit to book a move. Until a deposit is received, a job is not on the schedule.
- Cancellations – If a job is cancelled, the deposit is forfeited.
- Gratuities – Tipping is discretionary, but very much appreciated y the crew. Suggested gratuity is $10/man/hour for local moves; and 20% of the contract price for long distance moves.
INSURANCE & VALUATIONS
- Third party insurance – Available at movinginsurance.com.
- Additional Valuation is available for purchase. See our website for prices. Unless you purchase additional valuation, our liability is limited to $0.30/pound/article – in which case, for example, if a 10 pound chair were damaged, our liability would be $4.50. ($0.30 x 15 pounds = $4.50).
- Additional Valuation is not available for moves into or out of storage. Please contact a 3rd party insurer for this type of insurance in transit.
- Customer is responsible for parking meter payments and tolls, which will be charged on the bill.
- Cash, Jewelry, Bonds, Deeds and any other valuable documents, important papers, etc. – are to be moved by the customer. We cannot responsible for these items.
- Unless we are packing, please empty all furniture prior to your move.
- Customer or customer’s agent must be present at all times during move.
- It is the customer’s responsibility to check the home after moving out, and the truck after moving in to make sure nothing has been left behind.
- Items that do not fit – we are not responsible for items that do not fit into or out of your home. You would have 4 options: 1) a 3rd party professional can be contacted to disassemble, move, reassemble/reupholster; 2) we can place it in a trash area designated by you; 3) we can take it back to the old place or to another location at the prevailing hourly rate; or 4) we can dispose of it or you.
MOVE DETAILS AND CONDITIONS
- On local 1-day moves, the clock starts when we arrive at the1st location and ends upon conclusion of the move (after clean up and all materials and dollies are back on the truck).
- On 2- day overnight storage moves, the clock stops on day 1 when the truck arrives back at our facility, and the clock starts on day 2 when the truck leaves our facility.
- Arrival time – Because we value your time, we have an excellent track record of prompt arrival to morning jobs, subject to the vagaries of NYC traffic. We strongly discourage booking 2nd and 3rd jobs with deadlines as we do not guaranty our arrival time.
- Time Restrictions & Deadlines – unless time restrictions/deadlines were indicated and accommodated during estimation process, we are not responsible for missed deadlines, elevator windows, etc.
- Other building requirements and restrictions – Please let us know well in advance of the move date if any of the following are required by your building: COIs, bannister/floor protection, elevator protection,
- Crew size is subject to change. On hourly rate jobs, the rate would be adjusted accordingly.
- Traffic delays – We will take the quickest routes available, but heavy traffic is often unavoidable and will necessarily make the job take longer and cost more.
- Wait time – if for any reason the job is interrupted for reasons beyond our control, we will reduce the hourly rate during that time to $22/hour/man.
- Service entrances – Let us know when submitting your estimate request of any service entrances so that we can plan accordingly.
- Long carry – While we will park the truck as close as possible to the entrance to the building, sometimes there is no parking available nearby and we must park farther away. Please be aware that the greater the distance from the truck to the apartment, the longer the move will take and the more it will cost more.
- Steps – unless specifically waived, any portion of the move involving steps will be charged at $1/step/hour. This includes having to use stairs because of elevator breakdowns, items not fitting in the elevator, stoops and staircase to basement to access elevators.
- Additional stops – No problem if time permits, although will make the job take longer and will cost more.
- Appliances – Be sure to list all appliances to be moved at time of estimation as surcharges may apply.
- Storage – Let us know if you are moving in or out of storage or if you need storage – either short- or long-term.
- Overnight storage – we can provide secure storage in transit for multi-day moves. This must be arranged during the estimation process as an overnight storage surcharge applies.
- Pianos must be listed on the inventory when requesting an estimate. The crew needs special equipment to move pianos, and a piano surcharges apply.
- Pianos – because pianos – especially grands – may be moved on their sides, there is a high likelihood of internal parts shifting which can result in malfunctioning mechanics (including but not limited to pedals and key action) and the piano going out of tune. It is recommended that a technician tune and adjust piano post-move, which would not be at mover’s expense.
- Fine Art -Please let us know during the estimation process of any paintings, sculpture or other fine art so that we can bring the appropriate materials for protection.
- All pictures, artwork, mirrors, etc., must be adequately protected prior to moving. Customer can prepare these items or we can do it on a time and materials basis.
- We wrap all furniture with blankets and tape, and if necessary cardboard corners, shrink wrap and bubble wrap. If you instruct us to not wrap a piece of furniture or any other item, we are not responsible for damage to that item during the course of the move.
- Assembly/Disassembly/Reassembly – we are happy to do as much or as little as you like. Please be mindful that assembly/disassembly/reassembly can be time consuming – and will make the job take longer and cost more.
- Heavy items – if we find heavy items that were not listed on inventory, surcharges may apply.
- Heavy boxes – if a box is deemed to heavy or too large to be safely moved, we will repack it, charging for the time and material necessary to do so.
- Donation/Disposal: We can donate/dispose of most items that you do not want. Your foreman would give you a price on the spot and will in most cases take it away immediately after the move.
- Special handling (hoisting, door removal, etc.) – We cannot remove doors/windows. Conditions permitting, we can perform hoisting services @ $25/floor/item.
- Pre-existing damage – we will document any pre-existing damage and point out any items that are particularly vulnerable to being damaged during the move.
- Particle board – We are not responsible for damage to this type of furniture because there is an inherent risk of damage when disassembling and reassembling, or when moving without disassembling.
- Pre-existing cracks to glass and marble will likely get worse during the course of a move. This is unavoidable damage for which we are not liable.
- Apartments under construction – Let us know if your apartment is under construction as special arrangements may be needed.
- Plumbing and electric – We cannot perform plumbing services (such as connecting or disconnecting washing machines) or electric services (such as disconnecting connecting chandeliers).
- Carpentry – We cannot perform any carpentry such as hanging pictures or otherwise putting holes in walls for installation purposes.
- We cannot remove/install ACs from windows or assemble/reassemble cribs.