Brooklyn vs Manhattan – which is better for you?
Best places to live in - June 28, 2019
Whether you are moving to NYC from another city or are looking for the best borough to relocate to within the NYC, there is a challenging task ahead of you. Finding the best neighborhood that offers the right amenities as well as great housing options is major trouble for many people. However, if you are looking to relocate to either downtown or close to it and be a part of a great community, the choice really comes to Brooklyn vs Manhattan.
Choosing the best neighborhood in NYC
There is more to moving your home than just packing your boxes and relocating to a new apartment. Finding the perfect moving destination is the most important pre-moving task. Choosing the borough that can meet all of your requirements and lifestyle is the very first thing you need to do when planning a move.
In order to make sure you choose wisely when it comes to Brooklyn vs Manhattan, you need to make a list of priorities first. Whether it is living space, commute time to work or neighborhood’s amenities, setting up your priorities will help you save time and find the best NYC neighborhood to start your business or relocate with your family.
A few important guidelines to follow
- Living cost Brooklyn vs Manhattan. When in doubt whether you should move to Brooklyn or Manhattan the very first thing you need to do is to evaluate your budget. Set a monthly budget and compare the cost of housing, transportation, dining out, etc. This may help you make the decision right away.
- Housing and living space. New Yorkers have become accustomed to smaller apartments and limited real estate market. However, whether you consider downsizing your home an option or not, you need to evaluate the living size you need. A cozy studio can be great if you are single. However, moving with kids or pets to a small space might not be the best solution. Deciding on the size of living space in advance will help you avoid wasting time on apartment hunting as well.
- Commute time. Are you willing to spend some additional time in transport while living in a larger apartment or in a neighborhood that fits your lifestyle?
- Neighborhood amenities. Even though this may seem like less important criteria, there are some things you can’t compromise. Therefore, if you are moving as a single parent in NYC, living close to parks or in a good school district might be the most important priority.
- Additional priorities. There are so many different things any person or family might consider crucial when it comes to choosing a new neighborhood. Make sure you write everything down and prioritize properly.
Brooklyn vs Manhattan – A clash of the titans
Like any other New Yorker, I must agree that NYC is the greatest city in the World. The possibilities are limitless when it comes to job opportunities and social life. However, just like any other metropolitan area, NYC has its upsides and downsides. And the same goes for its boroughs. In order to make the decision of Brooklyn vs Manhattan easier let’s take a look at the pros and cons of both neighborhoods.
Living in Brooklyn
Old days when Brooklyn was considered to be unsafe are long gone. As one of the fastest growing neighborhoods in NYC, Brooklyn has a lot to offer.
The pros of moving to Brooklyn
There are many benefits of moving to Brooklyn. Let’s take a look at the most important ones.
- Great community.
Not only that Brooklyn is the home to one of the best moving companies in NYC, JP Urban Moving Brooklyn, but it is also a borough with great parks and closely knit communities. The diversity of its neighborhoods create unique cultures that can be seen only in Brooklyn. People and cuisines from all around the Globe will allow you to meet the World without leaving your own backyard.
- The outdoors.
For families moving with kids, choosing Brooklyn over Manhattan can be a no brainer. Brooklyn parks are less crowded and bigger than the ones in Manhattan. Therefore, if you and your family have an outdoorsy lifestyle, visiting places like Prospect Park will become a part of your daily routine.
- Cheaper living cost.
Living in NYC can be quite pricey. However, Brooklyn offers cheaper housing and lower living costs.
Rosie Perez once said: ” I didn’t appreciate Brooklyn until I left it“. With great music, art events and amazing restaurants and cafes, Brooklyn offer limitless entertainment options. Therefore, whatever your taste in arts may be, Brooklyn can provide it.
Living in Brooklyn – The cons
- The commute. – For some people, there are no neighborhood amenities that can make up to the time the spent in the subway.
- It can be pricey. Living in Brooklyn can be much cheaper than moving to Manhattan. However, it all depends on your housing and commute cost. It can all add up and exceed your budget.
- The lifestyle. Living in an artsy neighborhood may be a dream come true for millennials. However, this might not be the case for everyone.
Getting to know Manhattan
We believe Manhattan doesn’t need an introduction. As the center of one of the biggest cities in the world, Manhattan attracts visitors and residents from all around the World. However, it still might not be the best place for you to move to. Make an informed decision by learning its most important upsides and downsides.
Brooklyn vs Manhattan – Does Manhattan win by a long shot?
The towering skyscrapers, busy streets, famous landmarks… The list goes on. Living in Manhattan will allow you to be a resident of the center… Well, I must say the World. However, is it the best place to call home? Lets’ argue this through a list of pros and cons:
- Entertainment. You can often hear people say there is always something to do in Manhattan. It has become almost a saying because it is true! Museums, theaters, exhibitions, restaurants, events, clubs, bars… NYC’s best entertainment is in Manhattan.
- World class dining. Even though this may be included in entertainment, Manhattan restaurants deserve to presented as a benefit themselves. If you love fine dining, Manhattan is the place to call home!
- Central Park. This oasis in the middle of the concrete jungle will allow you to relax, have picnics and enjoy nature while still staying close to your home and urban city life.
- Commute. If you work at Manhattan, saving time in transit can be the best perk of living downtown.
- City life. Bustling city streets might not be for everyone. However, if you have a fast-paced lifestyle, Manhattan will meet your expectations!
- Lifestyle -Not cheap, not cheap at all. Living in the center of the greatest city in the World has its price. And you might not like it.
- City life. If you like living in a closely knit community, Brooklyn vs Manhattan argument can only one way.
- The city never sleeps. If this statement doesn’t excite you, we say you skip the Manhattan apartment hunt. Unless you think you may get used to falling asleep to the sounds of traffic and crowds literally outside of your window.
Planning the move
Once you make the tough call and settle the Brooklyn vs Manhattan dilemma, you need to ensure you avoid any moving mistakes by using professional moving services Brooklyn. With the help of reliable and reputable NYC movers, your relocation will be quick, safe and stress-free. Therefore, make sure you check your movers’ reviews and reputation. Use customized moving plans to save money and time. Choose only the services you need and start preparing for the move in advance by creating a detailed packing list. With a reliable mover, a good task list and proper prioritizing system your NYC relocation will be a breeze.